PasKaPoo Park Historical Museums

 

 parkyard

 
  
Trappers Cabin 1920's 

This tiny house was built to re-create a trapper's cabin used by a Russian couple that lived near Rimbey in the 1920's. Their first child was born in such a cabin. There was a large Russian community on Deer Creek in the Lonesome Pine district, made up of people who had fled from the Russian Revolution in 1917. This group of settlers had to build quickly using whatever materials were available, and did not waste time on unnecessary space. The original building was constructed out of local logs, but other inventive members of the Russian community built houses out of poplar sticks insulated with clay and straw. Still others built dugouts similar to those that had been built in Russia hundreds of years before. The deterioration of the cabin resulted in this replica being built in 2001, which is larger than the original to accommodate visitors comfortably.

                                 

Hanging on the wall to your right is a set of log tongs. These were clamped onto a log so that it could be turned, skidded, or lifted for transport. These were a useful tool for someone building a log house.  There are a set of Elk antlers over the bed. Although you may spot them less often in heavily settled areas, the Blindman Valley used to be home to many elk. Anthony Henday, the first white explorer to visit the area, mentions in his journal that he saw large numbers of them. Hunting was one way for settlers to get enough food to keep them through the long winters. On the stove is a hand carved wooden ladle. Many of the early settlers made whatever they needed out of materials at hand. On the right-hand wall, near the wire frame for stretching and drying woolen socks hangs several traps. A trapper would set many of these along a trap line to supply him with food and get valuable pelts to sell. 

 

←Back to Main Historical Village Page