Kansas Ridge School 1902-1924
building was Rimbey's first official school, built before the town was given its present name. Originally,
Rimbey was "Kansas Ridge", a name that had to be changed when the town applied for a post office and it was
discovered that there was already a Kansas Ridge in the Northwest Territories. When this building was erected
in 1902, another school had already been built by settler Shelby Reed on his property. However, the Reed
school did not have the approval of the local Education Committee, and was closed when the Kansas Ridge
matter of the two schools was a touchy issue in the new community, and Mr. Reed apparently brought a gun to
an Education Committee meeting to settle the dispute! No one was hurt, and Mr. Reed was reprimanded in a
Lacombe courtroom. This school opened soon after. The first teacher in the Kansas Ridge School was an
American named Houston Vliet.
schoolhouse was in use until 1924, when a much larger white brick school building was constructed. The sign
outside the schoolhouse is all that remains of the white brick school. This building was sold to a local
farmer, Mr. Drader, who cut a hole in the front of the building so that he could use it to store his
threshing machine. The threshing machine is also on display in one of Pas-Ka-Poo Park's machine sheds.
school building was brought to the park and restored by students and teachers of Rimbey schools as a
Centennial Project in 1967.
items of interest are Inkwell holders "What are the holes in the desks for?" young visitors to the museum
often ask. The round holes in the top right corner were intended to hold an inkwell. You can see one type of inkwell on the teacher's desk at the
front of the room; it is the glass container with a small hole in the lid for dipping a pen into the ink.
Also on the teacher's desk is the type of straight pen used with the inkwell. Blackboards, in the days of the one-room schoolhouse, these really were
lengths of board painted black! There was no electricity or running water in the Kansas Ridge School. Pupils
could get a drink from the brown crock jar at the front of the
room, which the teacher or one of the older pupils would be responsible for filling every day. At the front
of the school are copies of the “Rules for the Teachers in 1872” feel free to take a copy home with you. They
are the rules that teachers had to follow were strict but sometimes humorous.
beautiful new four room red brick school was built in 1924 and opened in January. The school saw many changes
over the years until 1954 when a larger school was built and brick school torn down. All we have left of that
school is the cement marker outside of the Kansas Ridge School, some photos and many
←Back to Main Historical