Part of our Mission is to Preserve the History and Heritage of the Rimbey
Community for Present and
The Historical Archives are located
at PasKaPoo Park in the Office of the Historical Museum. If you are interested in accessing these archives
please call ahead to make an appointment 403-843-2004.
The Archives contain a collection of
Rimbey newspapers dating back to 1919. Please see the bottom of this page for missing
The History of
Kansas Ridge was the first name given to this
community at the turn of the century as many of the settlers came from Kansas. Among them were the
three Rimbey brothers, Sam, Ben and
Jim, for whom the town was officially named
after in 1904. In a 1909 brochure declared Rimbey to "have every prospect of becoming a good town.
It now has two stores, a large hotel, grist mill, saw mill, creamery, school, Anglican Church, and
a Methodist Church."
The village of Rimbey grew along a dirt street faced with frame
buildings of boom town fronts to distinguish them from the homes that were being
In 1919 the railway reached Rimbey and there was much enthusiasm for
the "new town" by the tracks (now Highway #20). Two grain companies built elevators the following
year and Rimbey's population swelled to 319 by 1921.
Through the 1920's the community grew, the lumber yards thrived, and
the scene of people moving to town became popular. The Village
always managed to bounce back after frequent fires destroyed businesses on Jasper Avenue, now 50th
Avenue. Village merchants sold everything from modern farm
implements to photographic supplies and a number of service stations.
In 1930, the Village acquired a hospital, giving a welcome boost to
the size of Rimbey's workforce. The Second World War brought
abrupt changes to Rimbey, as young men and sometimes their families left the Village. When war was
over some returned and others did not. Many new faces came to Rimbey and the population surged to
634 by 1946. The empty lots north of Jasper Avenue were soon
filled with houses and improvements were made to the streets and sidewalks.
However, development was haphazard as Rimbey continued to mix
business and industrial sites with residential lots. A
Planning Report in 1954 determined that zoning should be brought in and some public open
space be established to create a more attractive town and improvements be made to the
commercial area to better service a population that had reached 915. Modernization through the 1960's began to change the appearance of Rimbey's
50th Avenue, but if you look carefully you can see remnants of the
Over The Years
Ben Rimbey registered 3 quarter-sections for
his family. Abner Raymond arrived in the area about the same
(Sam & Ben) returned to break land and build house for their families to come join
Kansas Ridge, Northwest Territories established here. First small store opened by Charles
Townsend in part of the Jim Rimbey House.
Dominion Land Survay
established a new town site Kansas Ridge (later to become Rimbey). The young community
recognized a need for a school. The Education Committee built the Kansas Ridge School, with Mr.
James Vliet as the teacher. It marked the community's commitment to the
of Kansas Ridge
More than 100 years later the school can
now be seen as part of the PasKaPoo Historical Park. Jim Cox opened
first general store, stocked with 12 wagon loads of merchandise from Lacombe. Cox's Store became a
Alberta officially became a province on Sept. 1st.
Anglican congregation built log church on land donated by Ben
Methodist (United) Church built on land donated by Jim
First blacksmith shop opened on Main Street.
First doctor, Dr. Samuel Byers, arrived from Nebraska.
New businesses prospered in Rimbey; Empress Theatre opened; first
Village Council inaugurated; Barber
Shop opened by Fred Newsom; first High School started by Mabel Fleming Mellis to save
having to send the older children to Lacombe after elementary school.
Railroad arrived in Rimbey.
Jack Beatty opened hardware store.
Rimbey gets electricity from the Drader power plant.
Jack Beatty built his house at the crossroads on Main Street where it
still stands, now known as the Beatty House.
St. Paul's Hospital opened.
Rimbey officially became a town on Jan. 1st, with Benjamin Gunn as
Mayor. Rimbey's population at the time was 757.
Water and sewage installation in Rimbey.
First Rimbey Library opened, started by volunteers and begun with a
$50 budget for books.
Fred Schutz's column in the Rimbey Record calls for the establishment
of a museum, and he helped bring the old Anglican log church and other old buildings in to make a start at PasKaPoo
Park. This Park Opened to the Public in 1965, 2 years later...
Lt. Governor Grant MacEwan officially opened The PasKaPoo Historical
Rimbey Community Centre opened.
A committee of the Rimbey
Historical Society buys the Beatty House from the Town.
International Truck Museum opened.
The Beatty House is designated as a
Registered Historic Resource by the Province of Alberta.
The first Canada Day celebrated in the
The Beatty Heritage House
Society is incorporated.
Rimbey holds their 100th Anniversary Celebrations from July 18th to
Rimbey celebrates Alberta's 100th Anniversary from Sept. 1st to the
The Beatty House is designated as a Municipal Historic Resource, the first such designation
from the Town of Rimbey, and is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Rimbey celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the International Truck
from July 13th to 15th.
Thank You for Helping Us to Preserve
Help find the missing issues of the
Rimbey newspapers. If you have any of the following issues please contact the PasKaPoo Historical Park
Archives at 403-843-2004.
Missing Newspaper issues:
3,10,17,24, Nov. 14
1931: July 10, Nov. 27
1933: Jan. 6,13,20,27, Feb.
4,11,18,25, Sept. 29
1935: June 14
1936: Feb. 21,28, March
6,13,20,27, June 11
1937: Dec. 30
1938: March 31, Dec. 30
1940: Jan.4, Nov. 7
1941: April 24
1942: Jan. 1, Dec.31
All of 1943
(These may not exist due to the war)
1944: All of Jan.-
July, Aug. 3,10,17.
1946: Sept. 5
1947: Aug. 21
1948: Aug. 5,12, Dec. 30
1949: July 14,21, Dec. 29
1950: Sept. 7,14, Dec.28
1951: July 19, 26, Dec. 27
1952: Feb. 21, June.
5, July 17, 24
1953: Jan. 1,8, Aug. 13,
20, Dec. 31
1954: April 22, Aug.
26, Sept. 2
16, Dec. 27
1957: Aug. 7,14
30, Aug. 6
29, Aug. 5
1960: Aug. 3, 10
1, Sept. 23,