PasKaPoo Park Historical Museums

 

 parkyard

 
Blacksmith Shop 1944-1975

The blacksmith was an important figure in early farming towns, repairing broken farm machinery, doing decorative metalwork, and shoeing horses. The blacksmith's importance did not fade with time: blacksmith Gustav Weber ran a successful business in Rimbey from 1944 until 1975. The original building was not sturdy enough to be moved to the park so this replica of his shop was built in the early 1980’s by members of the Historical Society.  

The inside of the shop shows a blend of old-fashioned and modern techniques: there is a modern welding unit just inside and to the left, a little further inside is a traditional blacksmith's anvil of the kind that has been in use for centuries. 

 The Forge had a tray where a charcoal fire could be lit to heat metal, and was attached to a forge blower. The forge blower provided a steady stream of air to feed the fire if the crank was turned. (There is another forge blower, not attached to anything, near the right-hand wall). On the floor near the forge was a water trough used to cool pieces of hot metal. 

The Anvil provided a solid surface where metal that had been softened in the forge fire could be pounded into shape. Leaning against the wall behind the anvil is a large bellows. They were an earlier version of the forge blower which was pumped by hand to feed air to the forge fire.  

On the floor in front of the anvil is an Iron Bender. This machine shaped hot iron into a curve. One of its early uses was to make circular iron wheel rims for wooden wagon wheels.  

Farther back in the shop, slightly to the right of the forge is a Trip Hammer. Huge belts attached to a motor drove this machine. Stepping on the foot pedal harnessed the power of the motor to pound a piece of metal flat.  

 

                             

  Acetylene Generator Chemicals were combined to make acetylene, which was used in welding. 

 

←Back to Main Historical Village Page